Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Betta Fry

Robin "imposed" two pairs of bettas on me for breeding. Since he figured I had nothing much to do with my free time. (Nevermind the waterchanges for one 42gal tank, five 15gal tanks, two 20gal tanks, one five gallon tank, seven 2.5gal tanks, and not counting the hospital tank and a couple of one gallon tanks.) Anyway, the first pair didn't yield a successful spawn. But the pair I put in last friday did. I took out the female sunday night when I noticed tiny black dots on the surface thinking they were fertile eggs. There was no bubblenest by the way so I thought it was a bust. But come monday morning, I saw very tiny fry swimming about near the surface. I started feeding them eggyolk which I did thrice a day. I kept the father in the tank to find out how he'd raise the fry as how male bettas normally would in the wild. I'd see him gather fry in his mouth when I drop food in the tank. I'm going on faith here that he ain't eating them. I'm planning three simultaneous spawns next and I'm thinking of separating the father just to see how that goes as well. Hopefully when I get the hang of this I'd be able to breed the bettas like clockwork.

No comments: